Stop identity theft in its tracks with Experian’s ProtectMyIDⓇ, an identity protection service that alerts you when your identity is on an unforeseen path of danger. ProtectMyID is a full-service provider of ID detection, protection and resolution services. By leveraging the global power of Experian, ProtectMyID delivers superior protection and peace of mind. With personalized ID theft resolution, ProtectMyID helps assess the damage and clear your name.
What We Like
We love that ProtectMyID is part of Experian, the world’s largest credit bureau. Experian has an A+ rating with the BBB and has been an Accredited business since 2006.
ProtectMyID has been the go-to for large company data breaches (Target, T-Mobile).
The new mobile app sends members a ProtectMyID Surveillance Alert when there is an Internet scan of their personal information, a change of address or credit alert.
There is a myriad of resources open to the public on the dangers of and prevention of identity theft that we find to be very informative and helpful. There are checklists on prevention tops, alerts on the most recent ID theft scams, stats and studies on medical identity theft, and other popular articles about phishing and the dangers of a lost wallet in Experian’s ProtectMyID resource center.
ProtectMyID Essential identity theft monitoring is free to AAA members and ProtectMyID Deluxe is an exclusive service available to members at a 60% discount.
What We Don’t Like
Just seeing the hefty number of negative ProtectMyID reviews on the BBB website took us back a bit. There were 2035 complaints issued against Experian in the last 3 years; however of those complaints, 2035 were closed—meaning the business set to resolve all the issues with customers who were less than thrilled about their service. Keep in mind, though, these are not necessarily related to ProtectMyID (if any at all) and they relate to people’s credit reports, which can get even the calmest person hot if something is awry.
Because it’s an Experian company, the large majority of their focus is on credit monitoring. The only real problem with this is that sometimes it takes time for fraudulent activity to show up on a credit report making the member lose valuable recovery time.
There is no option for mailing list removal.
During our review of ProtectMyID monitoring capabilities, we weren’t thrilled that the service limits the number of credit cards they monitor for Internet scanning to three.
The Bottom Line
Because ProtectMyID is Experian’s identity protection service, members can be sure they are getting some of the best service in credit monitoring and identity protection across the board. Experian is a major player in the world of identity protection and will be for a very long time. There are three different types of Surveillance Alerts – Internet Scan, Change of Address Alerts and Credit Alerts – which keep subscribers up to date on their current personal online status.
How ProtectMyID Works
With Surveillance Alert notifications, ProtectMyID will alert you via text or email of unscrupulous activity related to your personal information, and they will stop the damage from escalating with ID theft resolution. Monitoring includes:
- Credit Monitoring: ProtectMyID monitors your credit report daily searching for 50 leading indicators of identity theft.
- Internet Scan: By monitoring online sources where your personal data (credit card and SS numbers) could be traded or sold, ProtectMyID reduces the potential exposure to identity theft.
- Change of Address Monitoring: Whether a thief steals one piece of mail from your trash or your entire address through a fraudulent change of address request with the post office, ProtectMyID monitors any address changes at the national level and will help you out if something suspicious comes up.
- All Clear Surveillance Alerts: Not only does ProtectMyID alert you when there are red flags, but they will alert you if they detect a clean bill of health (when it comes to online identity). If your identity is free of activity for a month, you’ll get a very welcoming All Clear Surveillance Alert.
While conducting a ProtectMyID review you should heavily take into consideration their association with Experian which helps them stand out from the many other identity theft protection companies. They can access personal data in the most secure way and offer powerful protection that leverages the innovation of Experian.
- Lost Wallet Protection: If you lose your wallet or any of the contents inside, you’ll have access to an Identity Theft Resolution Agent who will help make the calls to cancel and replace your important cards (credit, debit, medical insurance) no matter how or when you lost them.
- ChildSecure: Because children are 51 times more likely to fall victims of identity theft than adults, it’s important to protect them. ProtectMyID alerts you if a credit report is opened in your child’s name.
A dedicated U.S.-based Experian Identity Theft Resolution Agent will be available to help victims of ID theft get through the paperwork with better ease than going it alone. They will help contact the proper authorities and take other necessary steps in the event of identity theft. You don’t have to face it alone.
- $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance: Once a member enrolls, they will be issued this insurance policy with a $0 deductible. This insurance covers certain costs that incur during identity theft resolution that can include: lost wages, legal fees, private investigator fees, fraudulent electronic fund transfers, etc.
ProtectMyID Plans & Pricing
Start a 7-day trial by purchasing a $1 Experian score and credit report (if you don’t cancel your trial, you will be billed $15.95 each month for membership)
- Experian credit report upon enrollment
- Daily monitoring of credit (3-bureaus)
- Email alert notifications when key change occur
- Daily Internet scanning for use of SSn, debit and credit cards
- Lost Wallet Protection
- 14-day money back guarantee
- Fraud Resolution Assistance
- $1 million identity theft insurance
- Regular Price: $15.95/mo
- Receive an assigned Identity Theft Resolution Agent for personalized support to take care of your identity restoration
- Receive 3-bureau credit reports and scores
- Receive 3 months of ProtectMyID
- Regular Price: $149.95 + applicable sale tax
Visit Experian.com for additional credit related services.
ProtectMyID Customer Service
M-F 6am-6pm PST
Sat-Sun 8am-5pm PST
Attn: Customer Care
P.O. Box 22
Allen, TX 75013
If you’ve had a data breach call 1-866-751-1323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.experian.com/databreach
A money-back guarantee will be issued if you are not happy with the ProtectMyID service after the first 14 days.
General Support: 1-866-960-MYID (6943)
ProtectMyID History & Information
The following information is related to Experian Consumer Services which opened its doors in 1993 in Costa Mesa, CA.
535 Anton Blvd. #100
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
CEO, North America: Craig Boundy
Experian plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN).
Latest ProtectMyID Reviews on AllSecurityReviews.com
Sissy's review of ProtectMyID
It only covers one of the three credit reporting agencies. I signed up for a free membership which is paid for by my company and spelled my name for the customer service rep at least three times only to find out she spelled my name incorrectly and had to sit on hold for 20 minutes to get it corrected. I didn’t feel comfortable at the point and asked to have all my information scrubbed which I was then told that I could NEVER sign up again for free, EVER! Hmm. What to do? What to do? There is only room for three credit cards to be listed for the credit card watch. I’m just not sure about this one.
Johann M.'s review of ProtectMyID
I don’t know why whenever i try to log in it tells me it’s not my username. So i cannot get in to review my account. Yesterday i changed username 6 times and none registered to let me in. However i got 6 notices of me changing my username! Whats really going on?